There are two things all salon suite owners have in common, they all have an entrepreneurs spirit and are undoubtedly great at their craft. It is key to remember…. You’re in business for yourself, but not by yourself. Working in an environment where there are many other salon owners, it is key to soak up the wisdom of a salon mentor. Identify someone who is successful and inspiring to you. Ask outright if they’ll mentor you. Finding a mentor is one of the best investments you can make in yourself and your career. Along your entrepreneurial journey you will need advice from someone who has been where you are headed and can challenge and inspire you.
We’ve listed 7 other reasons why you need a mentor:
1. They have been there and done that. Mentors have been down the road you are on and are a sounding board to provide you feedback and advice. They have experiences from their careers that can provide you guidance on how they achieved success and how to deal with hurdles that were encountered along the way.
2. They provide guidance and help personal & professional growth. They may see potential in you that you might not see in yourself. They might identify areas where you could use more education to really hone in on a talent you did not know you had.
3. They help set goals and keep us accountable. Mentors can work with you on your goals ensuring you don’t loose focus when you become distracted by day-to-day pressures.
4. They provide unbiased advice. Mentors will give you direct and honest feedback & provide you with an objective perspective. This type of communication is key as it will help you achieve personal and professional growth.
5. They help you think outside the box. A mentor can help you look at situations in new ways. Are you looking for marketing ideas, or how to increase your prices? You mentor has most likely done this several times before and can give you the benefit of their perspective and experience.
6. They are your sounding board. Mentors take in your ideas and help you see which ideas have potential and why others should be left alone. Thinking of expanding your product line? Toying with the idea of creating your own branded swag? These are great ideas and a mentors candor will help you decide if these ideas are worth pursuing or left to the back burner.
7. They are your cheerleader. Mentors provide encouragement and guidance that gives you hope and confidence in your entrepreneurial journey.
Remember, having your own salon suite is essentially an investment in yourself. There is no rule that says you must achieve any success on your own. Reach out to those who have done this before. You will be astonished how fast you can achieve goals when you have a mentor to guide you. And down the road you can then be the person who mentors another entrepreneur to achieve their goals and dreams.